Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

My Favorite Quotes about Reading

Today is International Literacy Day! It's so, so important that children all over the world still know the joy and magic of reading, and I'm inspired by these quotes on a daily basis. Reading is sexy, after all.


Frederick Douglass is the embodiment of this quote. During the time of slavery, being a literate slave was unheard of. Douglass learned to read by copying bible verses and hearing sermons recited out loud. We don't appreciate the ability to read until we realize how precious it can be to others.



I may want this tattooed on my body at some point, because it's one of the more beautiful quotes ever said, in my humble opinion. Personally, reading is a constant gift and starting a new book is like Christmas.



Reading can also be an escape for so many people. If you are stressed from a long day at work, dealing with family, or relationship, drama, just crack open a book and get away from it all. Go ahead, take yourself to another world filled with wise-cracking centaurs, or loyal hobbits.


Nothing scares me more than my mind deteriorating. I'll be reading until my last day on this earth, you can count on that. My Yaya (or my grandmother, for the non-Greek folks,) is past 80 and she still reads her usual murder mystery novels. It's a tradition near and dear to my heart to visit her and just sit in silence and read a good book. She has dementia, so it's nice to have memories with her right now.


This one doesn't need too much explanation because Roald Dahl is the king of children's literacy. In his time, he urged parents to throw away their TV sets and head towards their bookcases instead. Dahl was ahead of his time in knowing the true importance of children and literacy.


J.K., I love you girl. Speaking personally, bedtime stories are part of the reason I love to read so much as an adult. My mom bought me countless books as a child, and I lived for bedtime so I could choose my adventure before falling asleep. It's something every child should get to experience.

So let's hear it, what's your favorite book and how did it inspire you to read more?

No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs