Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

7 Children's Book Quotes to Inspire Your Creativity

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration. I find myself stuck in a rut occasionally, and it can be hard to dig yourself out of it.

As a child, I had the Roald Dahl treasury of his short stories, poems, and excerpts. To this day, I will take that wonderfully heavy book off my bookshelf and open the all too familiar pages to soak up some creativity. Children's books have a sort of wonder that you just won't be able to find anywhere else. Some of these authors have done magical things to my imagination, so here are a few of my all time favorite children's authors and some of their pearls of wisdom.

1. 


Naturally, I picked Roald Dahl first because he is my idol. This genius author is the reason I love to write, and aspire to do big things with my writing one day. I always cherished his sense of wonder, and reality when writing to children. This quote in particular resonates with me. 

2. 


You can't talk about children's book authors without having at least one Dr. Seuss quote. I have always been drawn to this quote from the master of rhyme. If you have ever felt like someone, or something, caused you to question yourself, just think of this quote. 

3. 


Shel Silverstein will forever make me feel like I am capable of anything. From The Giving Tree to The Sidewalk Ends, the guy just knew how to make the spirit soar. 

4. 


Peter Pan always gave me the chills when I was growing up. In the best possible way. J.M. Barrie created not just a character who never wanted to grow up, but an entire world of endless dreams and possibility. 

5. 


Another classic from Shel Silverstein, this quote encapsulates the idea that we care way too much what people think and expect from us. As children, we acted impulsively and danced like goons. Why not do the same as adults every once and awhile? Screw what people think, put something silly in the world. 

6. 


William Joyce created a masterpiece with The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. If you haven't read this children's book, I don't think we can be friends. I joke. For real though, go get it at your local bookstore today and read it. You won't regret it. It will fill you with a sense of childlike wonder and leave you wanting to either cry or write an entire novel from how inspired you'll be. 

This children's book was so magical that a short film was created from it. I loved the short film just as much as the captivating book. The entire story revolves around a single idea: what is your story, and how will you write it?

Check out the short film: 



7. 


Alice in Wonderland is a timeless work of fiction that instills a sense of the fantastical with some actual, deep messages. This quote always stuck with me. Alice (or for that matter, Lewis Carroll) just seems to understand people, and what makes them unique. 


Well, those are my favorite children's book quotes! I hope you find some creativity and inspiration from them. Go write a novel, or do something that terrifies you. Get yourself out of that comfort zone, it's a dangerous place to live. 


No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs