Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Are You There Blog? It's Me, Erica

Hi friends. I have been wanting to get serious and start a grown up blog, so here goes.

I will be your resident rambler for the duration of this blog. Nice to meet you! I'm Erica, an almost 24 year old (my birthday is in three days) who is way too invested in what my dog is thinking most of the time, and what book I will read next, on my overbearing pile of tomes next to my bed and on my new, gorgeous bookshelf.

Not the best quality, but I'm working with an iPhone 5 people.


I also am a firm believer in the idea that the right Spotify playlist can make you feel on top of the world. I am currently listening to "He Said | She Said," a playlist dedicated to folksy duos. Perfection. But, that's besides the point. Let's talk about how I came to find the name of this blog. 

Recently, my life has taken some turns that I did not expect. Just three weeks ago, I was laid off from my dream job (blogging at a pet start up company) unexpectedly. Start-ups are notoriously unstable in terms of a job, but I was in sweet denial of that fact while blogging happily along at my desk. Life slapped me right in the face that day, because I was finally in a place where I could move out of my mom's house and now I was jobless, about to sign the lease. Needing a space of my own lit a fire under my ass, so I found a job in a little under a week that was not only higher paying, but gave me more responsibility in my career field. 

It was in this new job as a Social Content Manager for a law firm in sunny San Diego, my hometown, that I have the privilege of working with my now friend, Morgan. She runs a blog, The Flame Dame, that is my current obsession. I have annoyed her with many questions and she has been extremely patient with my novice level of understanding with Blogger. She is the main reason my blog looks mildly attractive right now, so thanks friend. 

When I thought of names for my blog, I immediately went to the color of my hair, because seriously. That's a huge identifier for my character (sassy, fierce, loyal, what-have-you) and it's just me. I love being a natural redhead, and I wanted it to be incorporated in my blog. At first, I wanted "Reading Redhead," but it was a brief trip to the mall with a close friend, while walking around the food court, that I discovered the word reading would narrow what I wanted to write about. I know what you're thinking, the food court is the perfect setting to have a in-depth discussion about the title of your blog.  We brainstormed "R" words and up came rambling. I am a rambler, so it worked perfectly. It was destiny. 

Then the day came (today) that I would type the fated words and create the name of my future blog. Immediately, "rambling redhead" was taken. Not a shocker there. I decided to take a detour and see who had stolen the title that I had dreamed about for weeks. Guys, I went to a scary place and time in the Internet. I was taken to a blog that was dedicated to the dating world of 2006 (that's the year of her last post.) It was like a dating car wreck, you just couldn't look away.

I've never been to "just this side of sanity" in North Carolina, but I hear it's beautiful.


This rambler refers to one of her lovers, and yes she used the word lovers, as "Harlequin Romance Boy." If I remember 2006 correctly, and I think I do, I'm pretty sure not one person used that slang when referring to their annoying ex. In the comments, one of her readers calls her the "Simon Cowell" of dating. Needless to say, I spent a good hour going through her posts and a wide range of emotions before I decided to just add "SD" to the end of my url, because I love my city. I'm going to go ahead and assume that since this "Rambling Redhead" hasn't posted since 2006, that she was eaten by the many, many cats she most likely owns. 

So, that's the story of how my blog name was created. It may not be a deep background story, but hey it's funny. Man, I did a lot of rambling and it's only my first post. Get used to it. 

I plan to create a series for all of the books I want to read (because I can't seem to leave any bookstore without at least two books) called "Rambling Reads," where I will ramble about the current books I'm reading. Hey! Check out my current read on my sidebar, it's pretty cool and I'm proud of how it looks. With my new house I just moved into, I plan to do lots of DIY. I'm hoping to get a nice camera for my birthday, so I'll have some gorgeous pictures of my bookshelves, my attempted DIY, and my favorite dog in the world, Gussie. Don't worry, I'll devote whole posts to that guy. 

Well, I hope that was enough of an introduction to me. I'll leave you with the Spotify playlist I listened to while writing this. You won't regret taking a listen some of these folksy gods and goddesses. 


No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs