Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

My 3 New Year's Goals

Since this year is drawing to a close, I figured I would write a post about my goals for 2016. Everyone talks about their resolutions for a new year, but I find that term to be too easily forgotten. I think calling them goals makes for a definite result.

2015 has been a year of ups and downs for me, and I learned a lot (blog post possibly to come about my lessons from this year) and decided that I have three definitive goals for the coming year. Here they are.

Pst, yes that's me. This is from a NYE photoshoot at my work :) 

I recently came up with this goal in the last few weeks, and I think it encompasses my entire life. Towards the end of this year, I found myself becoming more bold than I had normally been and having it completely pay off in the end. A great example is my new job. My previous job wasn't challenging me at all, so I made the decision to start looking for a new one, and boy was that a fun time. It took me close to three months, but I finally found the perfect fit. I not only had a phone interview, I went to a career fair with the company, had another phone interview, a two and a half hour interview with top executives, and then they offered me the job. All of that could not have been possible if I wasn't bold in my desire for a new job. And let me tell you, it so paid off because I am madly in love with my new position. 

Being bold doesn't just apply to the job department though. In 2016, I want to be more bold in my relationships, which means not waiting, but just going for it if I feel it's right, in any relationship capacity. No fear. I need a little more spontaneity in my life. 



This second goal is something near and dear to my heart. My papu, Marx, passed away in March of 2014 and, while I had always planned to write something for him, his passing has made the desire even greater. In 2016, I will force myself to sit down at least a half hour a day and focus on the outline and writing of a children's book in his memory. 

I have the basic outline written down, I just need to hunker down and write it out. I also spoke with the graphic designer at my work and he sounded interested in drawing the illustrations for it, so that has me motivated to get started. I cannot wait to see what it turns out to be. I would love to go further into the plot of the book, but I've decided to wait until I've fleshed out the narrative more before I write anything on this blog. Stay tuned :) 



This is a big one for me. Lately, I've had pretty intense anxiety. Whether it's about a certain situation in my life, or just a small event, I tend to let myself get sucked into a black hole of worry and obsession. While this will be the hardest goal on my list, I truly need it the most. 

Anxiety is a beast, and sometimes it just needs the right method for relief. I have found certain ways to calm it, whether it's coloring, reading, writing, or taking my dog for a walk, but it always comes back. I find myself taking situations that don't necessarily have to be devastating, and twisting them in my mind until they are life-altering to me. It's completely irrational, and a part of me knows this, but it still feels so real. To someone who doesn't really experience this kind of anxiety, it's difficult to explain, but let's just say it's not a picnic. In 2016, I've decided to find a more effective way to calm my anxiety. Whether that means trying to talk to a therapist, or taking weekly yoga to ease my mind, or both. I need to put a pause on my mind and realize that there is so much to be grateful for in life, rather than constantly worry about. I have a lot going for me right now, so might as well be aware of it. 


Well, those are my New Year's goals, what are yours? 


No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs